29 June 2012

VS2010 and Web Standards Update Pain

I recently moved to a Windows 7 64bit machine and began my install dance. When I tried to install the excellent Web Standards Update extension, it complained that it couldn't find SP1. Re-installing or removing and installing did not help.

In the Q and A pages I found a solution:

  • Using the free InstEd It! tool I modified the MSI
    •  In the Tables tab -> select the CustomAction entry -> remove the VSDCA_VsdLaunchConditions row
    • Save and install the MSI
Now I had found I could not open any css file. It seems the problem was that my Visual Studio was not installed in the OS drive. I copied the {OS drive}\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\Common7\Packages to the corresponding folder on my installion drive, and happiness! Everything worked.

Quite the hack, but I hope it helps someone. Just don't blame me if things break :)

No comments:

Post a Comment